November 26, 2011

Audio narratives

When I mentioned to bhYael about doing an audio piece for the Documentation Practices' end of term project.  She suggested that I should look into directional speakers.

http://mycitylab.eu/blog/2011/04/locustream-promenade
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/directional-loudspeakers.html

This set up only allows the person who is standing under this system to hear the audio, people who are standing outside the range can not hear it.  I talked to numerous people and couldn't find a place where I can rent the system.  At the same time, I was still thinking about using motion sensor to activate the audio piece.  Symon Oliver was going to show me the program that he used.  When I mentioned to Symon that I would like to have voices coming out from different speakers, he said I could do a 2 channel audio in any audio editing program.  Since the narratives are more important to me, I really should spend time on the "contents", rather than presentation.

Another leaning curve.  I bought the Sound Studio program and started learning it.  Because the voices were overlapping so I needed to bring in more audio clips/files.  It took me many hours to put together a 5 minutes piece.  But I am happy with it.  The stories are still there, but they are told in a different manner.  This is more like Glen Gould's radio documentaries The Solitude Trilogy that inspired my to do audio work in the first place, it has taken a round about way for me to get there. I am very excited about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment