July 10, 2011

Deanne F.

July 7, 2011

Deanne is a journalist with CBC.  I first met Deanne at the Pouch Cove Open Studios.  Deanne was not in Pouch Cove when Igor hit, so our conversation was mostly around Pouch Cove, about her relationship with her neighbours (that is very important), and how her neighbours supported her when she was raising her family.  Deanne lives in the south side of town (where the Catholic church is) and I realize how little that I know about that area of town.  Deanne is going to introduce me to Mrs. Gwen H., and other people who mean so much to her.  I am looking forward to that.

Deanne shared with me some life changing events that happened to her and her close friends during Igor (although she wasn't here because of health reasons) and the recent severe storm in February this year.  I really appreciated her sharing the stories.

Deanne felt so strongly about her neighbours, how her neighbours looked out for her.  This reminds me of my experience on Fogo Island where the sense of  community centres around neighbours look out for each other.  It is the way of life.

".... a tree that we planted was cut down because our neighbour built a deck and the tree would block the view of the ocean.  We didn't have to do that, but this is a neighbourly thing to do ...."





Audio:  A10PCP10a, b (50 min)

No comments:

Post a Comment